Some not so serious tips for running your first half marathon. Like any good blogger let me give you a list so you can follow along and we can be best running buds forever…
10 Tips to Running Half Crazy
- Train Off Road – yes like in the dirt. Running off course helps prevent shin splits and make for a more pleasant view.
- CORE is KEY – find that person in the gym with the best abs and do what they do, in a not creepy way of course. But seriously, having a strong center helps you keep good running form and prevent strain and injury.
- Carb Load – it’s a thing and who doesn’t want an excuse to eat pasta every night?
- Be Boring – do not change up your routine the night before a race and don’t eat something out of your norm for breakfast… just trust me. Don’t experiment on race day and have everything laid out the night before so you aren’t in a panic come 4am!
- Pull Your Hair Up – Ain’t nobody gonna look pretty running with their hair down except Beyonce… and you are probably not Queen Bey (but if you are please comment so we can have a dance party)
- Keep It Simple – 1 mile in you are not going to need all the extra clothes and 12 miles in you are not going to want that extra hydration system (most events provide water or a means for hydration)
- Pump Up The Jam – bring tunes, this is a personal choice depending on what you are racing to accomplish, but I personally get bored. You can also download your favorite book to listen to!
- Watch Out For Fluids – First, don’t think you can race without water. Make sure you are sipping on fluids when you need it. Second, people spit a lot during races. Don’t run directly behind them. Third, you may need to use the little girls/boys room. There may be a long line. Go before you run and ladies you may need to learn to pee standing up. I know, I know, crazy idea. #hatersgonnahate
- Take Care – cool down after the race, stretch with a partner and massage out tense muscles. Take a long bath/shower then grab all the IcyHot you can afford and take care of your body. Eat a good meal, drink electrolytes, and binge watch New Girl on Netflicks.
- No Pressure – don’t kick yourself in the butt (you will be so sore you probably can’t) because you didn’t run a perfect 7 minute pace. Find small goals and search for positive accomplishments. Run Like A Girl! (unless you’re a boy, then run like that)
Need a training schedule? I got you covered here!