The very first time I made these heart tarts was when I was teaching in Young Women’s (our youth group at church) I first saw the recipe on pinterest (of course) & decided it would be a fun Valentine’s activity to try out. A golden flaky crust filled with a homemade filling & made from scratch icing – delicious right! It seriously was so good!
Fast forward a few years & 1 busy little boy later… I want my kids to look forward to holidays & I am trying to create meaningful memories & traditions but Y’ALL that recipe took fooooooreverrr! This mama just doesn’t have time for that while trying to keep Ryker from climbing & jumping off the couch (insert eye roll)
So I came up with a no fuse recipe! Is it healthy? Heck no! But it is stinkin good & Ry smiled at me all through breakfast 🙂 I felt like the best Mom in the world. We eat healthy nine times out of ten so today was a splurge & I freakin LOVED it!
Happy Valentine’s Day Y’all
- Pillsbury Ready Made Pie Crust
- Strawberry Jam (or flavor of your choice)
- Vanilla Frosting
- Red Food Coloring (gasp! I know)
- Preheat oven to 450
- Roll out dough with a little extra flour to prevent sticking & cut out an even number of heart shapes with a cookie cutter
- Place half of your heart dough cutouts on a lined cookie sheet
- Add about 2 tbsp of strawberry jam
- Top with second half of your heart dough cutouts
- Press & seal edges down with a fork
- Cook for 12-15 minutes (some jam may escape, it will be okay)
- Mix frosting with 2 drops of food coloring
- Ice tarts & decorate with sprinkles
- Enjoy for breakfast or dessert!