Breastfeeding is a difficult process and honestly was so much more work than I had prepared for but it was probably one of my favorite parts about becoming a Mama. I was looking for just about anything to help make my life easier and trust me I tried my fair share of lactation recipes till I found these amazing cookies from How Sweet It Is and had to share!
These were a delicious and quick snack that I could grab & go! I altered my recipe by cutting out some sugar and butter and adding in more yeast. Mr. Smith grabbed one of these on accident and, without disclosing their true purpose, I asked him if he liked them & he said “yup they are awesome but taste a little yeasty”
Yeah babe sorry about that… they are to increase you milk supply! haha he just about died but hey he said they were good so there ya go! 🙂
About My Breastfeeding Journey: I had a great supply that came in day 3 after I had Ryker. He was in the NICU for some complications and we gave him formula until my milk came in. Once it did he latched great and although I had some initial pain it went away quickly and we were doing great. I went back to teaching ballet about 3 weeks after having him and started pumping once or twice 3 days a week. Around month 5 noticed that my supply was definitely decreasing and I panicked. This only made it worse. If I was ever in a rush to pump or feed I noticed it was so difficult. So I tried everything to get my supply back. The things that worked best for me are the 5 tips below. At 7 months I pretty much dried up. I am naturally very small chested think 32A cup :/ so I think this was part of our struggle but Ryker took to a bottle great and was perfectly happy on formula. It relieved so much of my stress knowing he was fed and it was just a part of motherhood I had to learn to live with. I am a big believer in FED is best! Read a funny story about my adventures in breastfeeding here!
5 Tips to Increase Your Milk Supply
- Drink Plenty of Water: I am talking at least a gallon a day
- Eat Well & Eat Often: for me I ate ~2000 calories/day focused on high protein intake which helped curve my need for sweets
- Snack on Lactation Cookies: 2-3 hours before nursing eat a cookie and some extra protein! Mama’s are busy & making baking cookies is the last thing on our mind! So if you don’t have time to make the recipe below, check out my favorite nursing cookies by Stork & Dove! They come in little individual packages you can pop in your diaper bag and go 🙂
- Try a Fenugreek Natural Supplement: You can purchase at your local vitamin or natural foods store
- Breastfeed Often: Supply & demand people, the more they eat the more you have
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons brewers yeast - I used 6 tbsp and you can find it at Sprouts or any organic food store
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons unrefined organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix oats, flour, yeast, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon & salt together.
- In a separate bowl beat butter and coconut oil till combined.
- Stir in sugar till fluffy then mix in eggs & vanilla.
- Add in dry ingredients then slowly stir in chocolate chips.
- I scooped my cookies with a 1/2 scoop for a bite size snack.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes.
10.1g carbs 3g protein
*KT's Tip: If you don't want to make all the cookies at once, freeze half of your dough to save for the next batch!